Friday, January 9, 2015

Party Time, Excellent

The week before Christmas I decided it would be fun to have a little Christmas party on December 23rd for the girls Sadie's age in our neighborhood. We also invited a couple girls Elise's age. I figured most people would be out of town anyway so it would be low-key and small. Turns out nearly all the girls could come. So I had 11 girls, including mine. It was fun and chaotic.
 I made a ton of sugar cookies and cream cheese frosting a few days beforehand. The morning of I came up with this "healthy" reindeer snack. A lot of the girls just ate the chocolate chip eyes and m&m nose off and called it good.

The special part of the party was the glitter toes done by a friend of a friend. This poor woman insisted that the tiny chair was comfortable. She was in it for 3 1/2 hours doing little girls nails! She is a saint, especially considering she hardly charged me anything. 
 We also did a couple dance games which the girls got a tad too competitive with. I heard a few declarations of "I don't even care any more" and defensive "who cares", as well as some tears when they got eliminated. Luckily the prizes were just little goody bags that Sadie and I had put together and everyone got the same thing.

The girls ended up just playing with our toys in the basement for a solid hour of the party. I planned for the cookie decorating to take a lot longer than 10 minutes. Many of the girls did a few rounds of cookie decorating. That blurry photo is Elise's cookie with an entire container of red sprinkles on top. I just took the plate and dumped the loose sprinkles back into the shaker.

A fun party, but I don't know if I will attempt a party that large by myself again. The girls in our neighborhood are very sweet and it's fun to have so many. The worst behaved kids at the party were my own, as it should be. 

Daniel got home halfway through the party. He promptly went outside and mowed the lawn. He stayed outside until all the little girls were gone. It worked out well because we got a bunch of snow 2 days later.

0 comments: