Nothing has made me more homesick than the recent events in Boston. I just want to go home. Yes, I have lived in Utah for a while now, but Boston will always be my home. I like it just fine here in Utah, but it is not Boston.
Two-thirds of my family was actually in Boston for Marathon Monday- my brother and 2 sisters were visiting with their families. They chose to go to the JFK Library instead of fighting crowds at the marathon. There happened to be a fire at the library that day which was erroneously reported as another bombing. It was very strange to think for a few hours that my family missed a bomb by an hour. Most of the week last week I just felt sad about the bombings and wanted to be in Boston. Then Thursday night I was about to go to sleep when I read an article about the MIT cop shooting and saw that there was a fire fight going on in Watertown, about 2 miles from my parents' house. We turned on the news to see reporters guessing what was going on. In the background a video clip played on a loop of a police officer, who I grew up with, running around with a huge automatic rifle. I stayed up until the middle of the night worrying and hoping they would catch the second guy. Friday was another weird day. While my parents were on lock down all day I called them 3 times. That's more than I normally call them in a month (I am not a talk-on-the-phone person). I wasn't that worried some harm was going to befall them, but it was all completely surreal. That evening we skyped and celebrated the lock down lift/capture of the second guy. I didn't realize how much anxiety I was feeling until they caught him and I felt like I could go out and run 10 miles.
Needless to say, I am planning a trip home in t-minus 2 months. Can't wait!
3 comments:
I'm glad that you miss Boston -- we miss you! It's been a surreal week, and although we've all "moved on", the topic of the bombings and the suspects comes up all the time as we talk with friends and we wonder about many aspects of the entire surreal event. We can hardly wait for you guys to come and visit!
When I heard about The Boston bombing I thought of YOU and your family. I am so glad that they were safe. I'm glad that you get to see your family soon!
Everything last week hit a little too close to home...
You are coming to visit!?! I had no idea. I am soooo excited.
Post a Comment