Sunday, August 2, 2015

House Upgrades

It's funny how you have grand plans (or even simple plans) when you move.
We finally got around to a couple things this month.

1- New thermostats. The original thermostats for the house were touch screen (old touch screen technology with a stylus), but the downstairs touch screen didn't respond anymore. We googled and tried lots of different things, but the company that produced it is out of business and we were out of luck to get it fixed. So all the settings were stuck at low temps in the winter and high temps in the summer. My friend Kaylie told me about a $100 rebate on Nest thermostats through our gas company so we bit the bullet and replaced them. We figured even though the upstairs thermostat's touch screen was still working we should probably get a Nest for that too. It's amazing to be comfortable on the first floor of our house! It had been set at 80 degrees, which was just plain hot in the middle of the day. Plus, the Nest is supposed to pay for itself in savings within 3 years or something. I have gotten kind of obsessed with checking how long our A/C systems were running each day. And I can control them from my phone. I am a dork. 

2- Basement window well covers. I was always a little nervous that some kid was going to run into our flower beds and fall into the open window wells. I have been looking into covers for a while and finally went ahead with these custom ones. 
They were about $40 more than standard size ones, but our wells were both weird sizes that didn't fit well with the standard. I like the way these look so I am happy with my choice. We only had to buy 2 since our other basement windows are under the back deck. 

Oh, the super exciting purchases that come with home ownership.

2 comments:

Amander N said...

We got the nest this winter. Unfortunately it hasn't saved us any money. But we were fairly conservative with our thermostat before (always turning it down when we left for the day, etc.). It's been a bit disappointing, really. But I do love being able to control it from a phone.

Carly said...

Oh man. That's good to know. We needed a new thermostat anyway, but maybe my expectations for money savings shouldn't be very high. Plus, before our thermostat was set at 81in the summer and like 68 in the winter so we were probably saving money while we sweat through the summer and froze on the winter