Monday, March 17, 2008

March Madness

Unless you have been in hiding in the wilderness for the last few days you know that the half billion dollar a year business that is March Madness has begun. And I love it. How can you not love non stop basketball for weeks on end. Teams that most people have never heard of show up and win games against the big boys and people find themselves rooting for teams like George Mason, Butler, Davidson, and THE Drake (Seinfeld lovers will get that). No regular mainstream fan will ever hear about these teams, but they are the ones that make the whole tournament worth it. I mean lets be honest here, what is the best part of the tournament? Without question it is the first two rounds. After that unless "your" team is still in it you find yourself less interested. When you think about it when that final game is two of the big boys like UNC and UCLA and then the game is a 15 point blowout you find yourself saying, "boy that Butler vs. Tennessee game was wayyyy better than this." It is all kind of backwards because all the good stuff is in the beginning and the end is generally nothing more than a whimper and the Tar Heels or Bruins end up holding the ugliest trophy known to man. It is just so anticlimactic. That's why I love and root for the underdogs, because they are what sports are about. They have nothing more than heart and desire to win and when it all comes together to trump talent it is a great thing and really its what sports are all about.

During the last few years I have had the privilege of being a part of teams that have gone to the Women's NCAA tournament and it is amazing. I learned something this year and that is never to take that for granted. I just assumed in my first year coaching that we would go because we always do. Well we were far from being able to go and it has made me appreciate those previous trips so much more. I hate losing anything as it is, even if it is an argument with Carly (and we know these "discussions" happen quite frequently), so this last year was very frustrating. In the end I think I will be a better coach for it because I now know just how awful it feels to lose. Anyways I will quit writing about stuff people don't care about now, but I figured I would give it a shot. My editor (Carly) will more than likely make fun of this post, but until she is willing to contribute she can stick it. (I hope she doesn't read this).

Now on to better stuff. We can file this under the creepy side of blogspot, but I can't resist. I must admit that I have a new idol and he comes in the form of a 4 or 5 year old. I am really not too sure of his age, but I only know him through his blog. Carly found him through her cousins blog and then his parents were friends of friends of friends. No one we actually know knows this kid, but he is awesome. I mean freaking awesome. If we were all as awesome and insightful as this kid was then the world would be a much better place. I would invite all who see this to give it a look. Here is a sampling...
"If I swallowed my eyeball, I could look down at the food in my stomach."...
Here is another...
Smith: "Mom, I pray to the superheroes everyday. At breakfast, lunch, dinner and at bed."
Mom: "What about Heavenly Father, do you pray to him?"
Smith: "No . . . only superheros."

Now I don't want his parents to think I am some weirdo, but this kid is hilarious. Anyways give it a look. ***Special note to Booker***If you would get on the ball and say awesome stuff like this you could be my idol. I am just giving you some incentive to talk more often.***

1 comments:

Courtney Nielson said...

I have been laughing out loud at work for the past 20 minutes at this kid..he needs his own show