Monday, January 19, 2009

**Addendum to Karma**

Hello Karma,

This is Daniel's wife and I am angry. Very angry. I am almost 100% positive my engagement ring got flushed down the toilet. Now that is literally flushing thousands of dollars down the toilet. There is a chance Lexie's parent's cat ate my ring, but that is just a made-up, unrealistic hope. Luckily, Lexie's parents are generously paying a plumber to take apart the toilet and sink in that bathroom in the hopes that my ring got caught somewhere it can be found.

That would be a rough day for most people. You must think I am not like most people. No, no, you had to provide an inordinate amount of traffic in Portland at the exact time I was trying to get to the airport. I sprinted up to the Delta counter 25 minutes before my flight only to find out I was 5 minutes too late to check my bag. The Delta employee offered me no help, just told me I was too late. I asked what I should do and he said, "uh, I think Southwest has another flight to SLC tonight. Go check there." I ran over to Southwest to find out a new ticket would be $200. So I returned to Delta, hoping I could get put on another flight in the morning. Yes, I could get on another flight but it would be $150. I dejectedly returned to Southwest and purchased a $200 ticket to fly home tonight. (The original fare for my round trip was $121 including tax)

Congratulations, Karma, this has been the unluckiest, stinkiest, stupidest 3 days of our marriage. You have succeeded in using up all my patience and level-headedness. It is so used up that when Daniel's car slid as he tried to back out of our parking lot tonight that I started crying. He didn't hit anything this time, but the threat sent me over the edge.

Are you just creeping us on us since we have had pretty nice lives thus far? Or are you in debt to us now? Somehow I can't imagine a 3/4 carat, solitaire, emerald-cut diamond ring just falling into my lap in the near future. I still can't believe it is gone.

Sincerely, Carly

5 comments:

Meredith said...

I am speechless. I wish I had some witty comment to make that would lighten the mood. But I don't. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help...

Carrie said...

Yeah, the airline situation is pretty crappy, but I don't even know what to say about the ring.

Christopher said...

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2009/01/24/plumber_finds_womans_diamond_in_the_rough/

Christopher said...

PS we ran into Al Turco today and he was very sympathetic about the ring. Megan found out first from your blog and told me and we mourned your loss.

Carly said...

Chris- The article was interesting but my ring is not worth the $7,000 that lady spent finding hers. We plan on going to Al to get a replacement ring; hopefully he'll still be in business in 5 to 10 years. Thanks for your mourning.