Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Photo Essay

I apologize; our blog has been entirely boring as of late. Blame it on the fetus. I learned that from Lexie. Maybe I should blame it on her fetus.

Here is a photo essay to update you on the past couple months' happenings:

1. Another Valentine's Day
We revealed that I am with child to some friends using "Yo Gabba Gabba" valentines. Courtney helped me decorate bags that ended up looking like the creations of a child. I guess it fits with the theme of children. As a side note, this was our 7th Valentine's Day together, as we first started dating in February of 2003. Have we come a very far since going to Carabba's and seeing "The RM" as 18/19 year-olds? I'm not sure.

2. A Birthday Season
February and March are birthday season for our families. Happy Birthday to: my brother Matt (Feb. 7), Daniel's sister Courtney (Feb. 7), Daniel's dad Tom (Feb. 14), my mom (Feb. 19), my sister Meredith (Feb. 26), my sister Hillary (March 4), my dad (March 5) and finally, Daniel (March 13). My mom came out to Utah and treated us to a Celtics-Jazz game on her birthday. Unfortunately, the Celtics ended up losing and my mom's favorite player, KG, as she likes to call him, got hurt. At least we could play the "we have a championship and you don't" card to all the irritating Jazz fans. Please ignore how chubby I look in the picture.

3. A good-bye
One of my closest friends from college, Melissa, made the mistake of celebrating her 25th birthday with me. I mentioned how we should get dessert since it was her birthday. The waiter overheard me and brought out this saddle. We all enjoyed the awkwardness as she sat and they sang. This birthday celebration was also a good-bye as Mel moved to on to bigger and better things (and hospitals) in Austin, Texas. This means I will still be able to see her whenever we go visit Daniel's family.

4. A Baby Celebration
I passed a real milestone in my life. I hosted my first-ever baby shower for my good friend, Kristina. No one ran out screaming and I think some people may have even had a good time.
An idea for the non-crafty types (like me): Rice krispie tiers. I realized the chances of me making a cake/cupcakes and then decorating it/them in a non-offensively-ugly way were minimal. My solution? Rice krispie treats. I got a delicious chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treat recipe from my sister-in-law, Carrie. I stacked them in tiers and tied a ribbon around each tier. Apparently, they looked too good to eat because I took this picture after the shower. (I had SO much dessert left over. Lesson learned. Only serve "healthy"--or healthy-looking-- desserts at a party for all women. Women can be so lame! Or they have much more self control than me. I literally ate 7 rice krispies that day. Another 7 the next day. The fetus' fault.) Jen- yes, that table runner is your old window treatment.

5. An Old Man
Daniel has insisted on playing intramural basketball despite the torn ACL. Daniel is the first to admit he looks and plays a little like an old man. He hobbles around with a huge brace setting hard screens, successfully boxing out taller/more athletic players, using all his upper body "strength" to his advantage, and hitting the occasional 3. He has done surprisingly well without his right knee and he plans on having surgery in about a month. We anticipate amazing pictures from that event (a 5'3", 6-months pregnant woman pushing a 6'3", 200 pound man out of the hospital in a wheelchair). Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the use of the curtain for the table runner. Genius. I'm glad it's being used for something. Not bad for a $3 find at D.I.

Courtney Nielson said...

My favorite part of this post is douchebag Mesnick's appearance. And of course the fetus announcement treat bags. I'm gonna steal it to announce my fetus niece/nephew on my own blog.

Tina said...

In my VAST experience at baby showers, women will eat as much dessert as anyone. Something must be wrong with those BYU/young/slim/new mother types. We middleaged/portly/old mother types just chow down on whatever great food you offer us! And that food looked GREAT!

Chelsy said...

Carly...I blame my braces for not eating the rice krispy treats! They looked great though, and everything else was really good (especially those sandwiches!)

And seriously, what is wrong with Daniel! He's going to end up needing a knee replacement by the time he is done! I think he's building up his excuse now for not being able to help as much once the baby arrives (being on crutches and all!) I'd stop it now while you still have time for him to heal completely! haha.