Monday, May 23, 2011

Gracias- That means thanks in Spanish

Life has both flown and crawled by lately. Each minute of those middle-of-the-night-feedings (man, I hate those feedings) takes an eternity, while the 2 or 3 hour stretches of sleep feel like nothing. In any event, I owe some people public thanks.

First, Alicia and Bryce. They stayed at our house with Sadie the whole time I was in the hospital. We didn't have to worry about shuttling her between friends. She was able to stay at home with her aunt and uncle she loves.


Second, my friend Ashley. She organized a little shower get-together the night before I had Elise. We all met at Brick Oven and everyone brought a children's book for me. Ashley also bought Elise the softest blanket ever (Elise is snuggled with it above- the striped blanket is a different receiving blanket).

More thanks goes to my talented friend Julia. In the midst of traveling to North Carolina to find a place to live and Boston to see her newest nephew; oh, and moving across the country, she made the most adorable blanket. When they brought it over it was folded up and I thought the whole thing was the same material. When I opened it up I saw this:

How cute is this? Makes me wish I knew how to sew. Too bad I am not willing to put in the time and effort it takes to learn.


Fourth, my parents. My mom came out last week to help. Sadie makes it a little difficult for people to help with her because she often insists on only her mom or dad. My mom made meals, went on walks with Sadie, took shifts with Elise, and got up early with Sadie so we could sleep in.

I am missing the extra sleep I got with her around.

My dad is here now because his mother is being inducted into the Malad, Idaho, Hall of Fame. She's big time like that. But he made a trip of it and stayed with us for a few days before Grandma's big night. Sadie just loves her papa and I think Elise will feel the same.



Final thanks goes to Daniel. I knew Daniel liked children, but I didn't expect him to be such a great dad. Not just a great dad, literally one of the best dads I have ever seen. And you know this has to be true because I don't pay compliments to Daniel on the blog. Actually, I am terrible at giving him compliments period. Daniel has been incredibly patient as Sadie has thrown tantrum after out-of-control tantrum. I have tended to want to throw her against a wall or at least lock her in the basement for a little while. He changes most of the diapers- of both girls. I have no idea what meconium looks like because I have never changed a diaper with it. He has done all the baths. He does all the nail clipping. He takes Sadie on 5+ walks around the block a day. He has gone grocery shopping, cleaned the kitchen, etc etc etc. It's not like Daniel is just being like this with the arrival of Elise. He has been so good with Sadie through every stage of her 2 years. When you get married you never know exactly what kind of parent your spouse will be. I am happy to brag that Daniel is a better dad than I could have imagined.
Watching a movie with his girls

3 comments:

Tina said...

I second the motion for nominating Daniel as the father of the year! I was so impressed with everything he did while I was there. And somehow when Sadie was throwing a tantrum, he distracted her until he could get her laughing again. But you're also doing a great job as a mom, dealing with a jealous Sadie while being sleep-deprived. Looking forward to June!

Alicia said...

Thank you for letting us watch Sadie! I think she is permanently a little scared of us, worried that we are going to steal her away from you guys, but it was still so much fun.

Please ask us again if you need us to watch her!

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

How did you forget to thank the Red Sox? They've won 9 of their last 10 games, a real pick-me-upper if you ask me.