Thursday, February 19, 2015

San Fran

I completely forgot to write about our trip to San Francisco. Traveling with the team is always fun, but it is different from other travel. First, it takes forever to do everything. Second, things have to revolve around practice and games. Third, we are with teenage girls so they don't care that much about seeing all the sites. 
 We flew in Wednesday evening and checked into the hotel. That night we walked to our restaurant, a lovely small authentic Italian place. This was a nice change of pace because normally the team has to eat at chain places because the group size is so large. 
Thursday I got up and worked out and then after breakfast at the hotel we went to the team's shoot around. From there we went to lunch at Panera and back to the hotel. Michelle and Tyler came and hung out for a while before we all loaded back onto the team bus for the game. The 3 of us (Tyler, Michelle and I) walked down to Golden Gate Park. It is beautiful. I have been to it before but it was pouring rain. The sun set as we wandered around. We saw some sweet roller bladers who were complete with sparkly spandex pants and glow sticks. They were actually really athletic. 
We headed back up to the game and took our front row seats. It was close but BYU pulled out the W. Jim and Sharman came so we got to spend some time catching up. 
That night we walked down to the pier and had a fancy dinner at In-n-out. 
Friday I got up and worked out again. It is so nice to be able to work out on your own schedule! Then we packed up and went over to this big mall in downtown San Francisco. Like I said, when you travel with teenage girls, it shows. I cleared out some of the $1 clearance bins at H&M and ate an amazing Ghiradelli's ice cream sundae. We said hi to Tyler and Michelle and we got on the bus to drive down to Santa Clara for practice. 
I had planned on reading (another thing that is amazingly easy without kids around) but I actually enjoyed watching practice and hanging out with Norma, their Athletics dept communications employee. That night we went to another delicious family-style Italian restaurant. We walked away feeling like we each weighed about 1,000 pounds. But that didn't stop me from accepting some free Coldstone. 

On Saturday morning the hotel breakfast was so good. I ate way too much. Shortly after, while the team was at shoot around, the Waddells (our friends and old next-door neighbors in Provo) arrived at the hotel. I hadn't seen them in years so it was great to catch up and hang out with their kids. I hadn't even met Zack, their 2-year-old. We ate at a vegan restaurant, which was tasty, even if the "chickin" didn't taste a lot like chicken, 
We drove over to Santa Clara campus for the game. BYU was losing the whole game until the last 5 minutes when they finally took the lead and held onto it. Jim and Sharman drove out for this game as well. 
We went to a little strip mall for a quick dinner before heading to the airport. Luckily, the Waddells and Tyler and Michelle joined us. The pizza was good and it was too bad we had to hurry to make our flight. 
We got back around 1 AM and crashed. 

0 comments: