At the end of June my parents came out for a visit. They spent the first half of their visit with Matt in Boise, visiting people/sites from his mission, and spending time with Bobpa in SLC. The second half was spent with us. During that time Daniel and I were gone for 3 days for youth conference. More on that in another post. My parents happily volunteered to come watch them 6 months ago when we were asked to run youth conference. It took so much stress off to not have to worry about babysitters.
Coordinating cute outfits from Nana. I love it I love it I love it.
One night they played princess dinner, reenacting our meal with the princesses in Disneyland. My mom had to sit at the kid's table and then the girls took turns coming in as princesses and took a picture with Nana. The picture is essential.
My parents came prepared with fun stuff like Pez dispensers and glow sticks. Glow stick dance parties are a favorite in this family. Just prepping them for future raves.
When Daniel and I returned from youth conference we had 2 more days with my parents. We fit in a neighborhood walk, which should always include a ride on Papa's shoulders.
Millie displayed some fine bedhead one morning.
On the 4th of July we were invited to Ron and Lani Blood's house for dinner and fireworks viewing.Their house is perfect for watching fireworks since it is up on the bench in Alpine. You can see fireworks going up all over the county. My parents were good sports to come hang out with Daniel's relatives, but I think they had a good time.
The kids had a great time running around before fireworks. Millie ended up in only a diaper when she took a dip in their dog's pool.
Their favorite part was throwing pop-its and lighting sparklers.
Two important things not pictured:
1. We had a BBQ with my dad's best friend from college. Several months ago I noticed that my neighbor/friend Cassidy had a familiar maiden name. I asked her if she knew Steve and Dodi Weiler and she said they were her parents. Her dad and my dad were best friends at the University of Utah. Cassidy and I have met before as kids when we got together while my family was visiting Utah. Cass and I had been friends for a while before realizing it, but now our parents are reconnected too.
2. I took my parents to visit the Chipman relative graves in American Fork. I told them as much as I knew about each person. Then we drove around and found some businesses created by Chipmans and houses of Chipman relatives in the area. Unfortunately, none of our direct relatives' houses are still standing. But some great uncles' homes are still there. My favorite is the Washburn Chipman mansion. I went back last week and took pictures since my parents and I didn't. It is totally rundown with overgrown gardens that were once beautiful. The story about the house is fascinating. It was built around 1853 by Washburn Chipman, the older brother of my 3rd great grandfather. James. Three of his daughters never married and lived in the house until they decided it was too much upkeep and abandoned it. After that it sat empty for 20 or 30 years. It was looted of everything and was apparently used as horse stables by many local people. This couple named the Fitzens bought it in the late-1960's and started to restore it. I found a 1985 article about the restoration here. They bought it for $1,000 and then were trying to sell it for $1,000,000 23 years later. I found another article in the saying the Fitzens sold the house in 1992. The most interesting thing about it to me is that it is now in total shambles again!! The Fitzens spent all those years restoring it and now it is back to holes in the ceiling, crazy overgrown gardens, and general creepiness.
The article I linked to above said that pergola-type thing on the right was the front porch from the tithing office in American Fork. When they heard the office was being torn down they put the porch in their garden.
There are 2 beautiful arches like this at the front of the property.
There is one part of the property that is not overgrown. This beautiful brick courtyard. I stuck my phone inside the fence to get a picture. The entire property is surrounded by fences with no trespassing signs.















3 comments:
We loved being there, and actually really enjoyed your Blood relatives. Looking forward to seeing you guys again in 10 days or so!
Next time I get out there, we're going into that yard, 'no trespassing signs' or not! That is so cool!!
I love driving by the mansion and imagining what it could look like if it gets fixed up again. That YARD.
Post a Comment