
Over Labor Day weekend the older 2 girls and I went up my cousins' cabin in Big Cottonwood Canyon. A note about the cabin: my great-grandparents owned it when my mom was a little girl. She spent time there when she came out to visit and even spent the better part of one summer there (if I am remembering right?). The cabin was sold a while ago (maybe in the '70's?) and then about 5 years ago my aunt and uncle bought it when it was on the market again. They are incredibly generous and allow family members to use it. It has 3 bed rooms and 1 1/2 baths, along with a fully equipped kitchen and laundry room. It is by no means fancy but the beds are comfortable and the cabin feels cozy.
We arrived with enough daylight for the girls to play for a few hours. There is a creek right behind the cabin that held their attention and allowed their imaginations to go wild. They would run inside to show me new things they found.

That night we ate treats, played games, and watched a movie. We also read from the incredible Peter Pan pop-up book illustrated by Robert Sabuda. Look up his pop up books. You won't be sorry. I would love to get my kids some of his books for Christmas.

The next morning the girls were up at 7 AM on the dot. We ate some breakfast and then went on a walk/hike around the neighborhood. We hiked up the steep embankment on the back side of the creek, only to find a road at the top. So then we made our way back down, with walking sticks of course.

I hadn't anticipated that the girls would love it so much. They wanted to stay as long as we could. I didn't bring lunch food, but they ate every scrap of snacks I brought and we stayed until that afternoon.

They went back and forth between playing outside and coloring inside. I mostly just relaxed and read.



I would love to go back again soon, although Camille may be tricky to bring. She would have to be watched any time she went outside.

That night we ate treats, played games, and watched a movie. We also read from the incredible Peter Pan pop-up book illustrated by Robert Sabuda. Look up his pop up books. You won't be sorry. I would love to get my kids some of his books for Christmas.

The next morning the girls were up at 7 AM on the dot. We ate some breakfast and then went on a walk/hike around the neighborhood. We hiked up the steep embankment on the back side of the creek, only to find a road at the top. So then we made our way back down, with walking sticks of course.

I hadn't anticipated that the girls would love it so much. They wanted to stay as long as we could. I didn't bring lunch food, but they ate every scrap of snacks I brought and we stayed until that afternoon.

They went back and forth between playing outside and coloring inside. I mostly just relaxed and read.



I would love to go back again soon, although Camille may be tricky to bring. She would have to be watched any time she went outside.

1 comments:
So glad that you guys loved it so much. Dad and I were brainstorming, and we think it might have been the late 80s (after we were married) that it sold. So maybe it was out of the family for about 30 years. We remember attending a family gathering there, one summer after we were married, when we were out there visiting.
Post a Comment