Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cubs Camp

I just want to start off by saying I hate the Lakers and thoroughly enjoyed watching them get beat by the Celtics tonight. I like the Celtics so it is very easy to cheer for them anyways, but the fact that they could win the championship against the evil Lakers only makes it that much better.

This week we had our first basketball camp of the summer. The difference between this camp and the camps we normally do is that it was for little kids which can make things very interesting. I was in charge of the gym of 8 year olds which was really fun because the kids get excited for most any kind of game, but at the same time it was a constant test of patience.

The hard part is the gap between those that have been playing sports and those that haven't is huge. I say this because at 8 some kids have been playing organized sports for 3 years while others are showing up at camp having never played basketball and their parents figure it would be good for them to try it out. This means that on the same team are kids that can shoot and even make 3 pointers and kids that just pick up the ball and run with it. I realized this gap in knowledge was wide when I asked a boy on my team why he just stood at half court while we were on defense and he replied, "What does guarding mean?" At that point I explained what guarding meant, but maybe I should have pointed my young friend to the highly popular clogging camp. At the same time I had a kid ask me why they weren't in the bonus yet. What eight year old knows about the bonus?

With all of that said it still is a blast to see just how excited kids get when they win a meaningless contest. It doesn't matter if there are prizes or not because they just want to win, even the clueless kids got excited about their teams winning relay races. Even though I had to say, "no dribbling while I am talking," like 1,000 times, it was still fun to coach little kids all week.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Go Celtics!!

Good for you for being patient! My oldest is 8 and I am forever thankful to people like you who run the camps! Although, my son is more likely to be the one that knows all the rules, thanks to watching basketball with his mom! He stayed up with me last night and we happily cheered the Celtics on together!

Go Celtics!

Terrence and Kestlee said...

I can't believe that the Celtics won the first game. Sorry, both Terrence and I are going for the Lakers. I miss camps!! I don't however miss supervising the youngest group during cubs camp. You were always so good with all of the little campers!!

singer.phil said...

so, i was waiting for jen to pick me up down at the rb and i saw a bunch of the kids from your basketball camp...or at least a byu basketball camp and in the space of ten minutes where i was sitting in one place i saw two of the campers run into stationary poles with their faces and one other camper trip over the curb and eat it on the asphalt; needless to say, i don't have too much faith in mormon athleticism after that.

Chelsy said...

Daniel...at least you get the fun part of the camps (actually working with the kids who dribble while your talking, and aparantly walk into polls). I'll trade you one week if you'd like to handle all the: advertising, housing set-up, registration, scheduling, angry parents who didn't get their kids signed up in time and now theres not room, etc, etc! I love my job too...but sometimes I'd like to get out of the office and tell kids 1,000 times to stop dribbling and listen!