Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Shoes, shoes, shoes

My grandmother passed away last week (you can read about her here and here) and among other things, she left a legacy of shoes. Literally. Well over 200 pairs of them. The problem? She's a size 6. After the size-6-footed female relatives had scored dozens of pairs each, the remaining mountains of shoes were up for grabs. Us big-footed relatives wanted a way to remember Grammie and her shoes also.

Meredith and I came up with the following:
Shoe art! What could be better? It was surprisingly difficult to find shadow boxes deep enough to fit shoes, but after that challenge was overcome the real creativity began.
My brown/navy themed piece. That navy shoe in the middle is a Ferragamo. We figure Grammie must have bought it when the Italian-designed-and-produced shoes averaged less than $800 each. Grammie was proud that she never spent more than $20 on shoes.
Meredith's red/black/white piece. Yes, all these shoes were my grandmother's. We hardly made a dent in the shoes left.
A piece of shoe art we made for my mom. Sorry to ruin the surprise, mom! I can promise you it looks better in person when the flash isn't reflecting off the glass.

6 comments:

Casey said...

Oh my gosh. That is hilarious and smart and cool. ok?

My mom said she told Bobpa she only had 200 pairs but they found 500 hiding all over the house. HAHA

Meredith said...

Steven asked me what Grammie would think of us making art out of her shoes - and I think she would happy that they weren't going to waste. It took her a lifetime to collect all those shoes. But she probably didn't like modern art and she would have told us.

Tina said...

I am so EXCITED to get my shoe box, or shadow box full of shoes! Thanks so much you guys. What a wonderful thing to hang on my walls, and always think of my mother when I do it. Thanks again.

Julia Mar said...

Rosemary was an awesome Sunday School teacher. I'll never forget my first lesson on how great sex is! Awesome shoe boxes.

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

I would recommend knocking the heels off the stilletos and makeing a log cabin out of them. Am I random or what?

josh and jacqs said...

Carly, so sorry I missed your shower, we were out of town and ddint get the invite until it was too late! You are looking cute, and softball is starting for the guys so im sure ill see you soon