Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas

It was a real Christmas weekend for us.

Friday night we took Sadie to the Riverwoods mall to see Santa. They had this cute little house set up outside. I was worried the line was going to be forever long on a Friday night but there was no one there!

Sadie loved the lights- especially any twinkling lights.

She wasn't too sure of Santa. As I started to walk toward him she grabbed me tightly. She was smiling at him, but only as long as I was holding her. She gave him a high-five and we called it good. So much for a screaming-on-Santa's-lap picture. Maybe next year.

Saturday morning we gave Sadie her bigger presents since we are off to Boston this week.

I was talking to a friend about how to approach the idea of Santa with my kids because I really don't care about them believing in him. Santa is the least important part of Christmas to me. She suggested calling Santa the mascot of Christmas, but not insisting that he actually comes into your house and leaves presents for the kids. I like that.

Anyway, when Sadie came around the corner and saw the basketball hoop she tried to get down immediately. This picture actually shows her mid-push-off from Daniel.

Daniel could not be more proud. I guess except if she stood about 5 feet back and shot it. Then he'd be more proud. **I need to add that we did not show Sadie what to do once. She knew exactly what to do. But this really shouldn't be surprising since she has been to more basketball games in her short lifetime than many of you probably have.**For now she will only dunk. If she wants someone to shoot it she'll bring one of us a ball and motion toward the hoop. She dunks anything and everything- including the nativity, puzzle pieces, and golf balls.


By the way, I finally got around to decorating our apartment a little last week. I wanted to get a real tree this year, but when it got to be December 10th and we hadn't bought it yet I decided it was too late. Next year. That will be better anyway because we won't be traveling at all for the holidays. Hopefully Sadie will be old enough to not pull everything off the tree. I have a few other decorations up but this is the gist of it. Kind of sad, I know.

3 comments:

Nick and Lexie said...

This post made me laugh because of a few things:

-Brizzy only wanted to give Santa high five too.
-We got Brizzy the same exact basketball hoop for Christmas. She hasn't opened it yet though, so we'll see if she likes it as much as Sadie.

They are too much alike. Or maybe just we are :) Have fun in Boston!

Julia Mar said...

Now I want to get Henry a basketball hoop for Christmas. I think he'd love it. But we've decided to wait and test drive yours first to see if he likes it. Then we'll buy it. Play date at your place after the New Year?

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

Is that a giant life saver candy on the shelf? Has that been claimed by anyone yet?