Monday, December 6, 2010

Crafty Crafter

During the Christmas season growing up in the John household we painted wood items- ornaments, random Christmas decor, etc. My mom actually made beautiful things and the kids would generally make fairly ugly/messy things but we loved to do it. One of the things my mom made (my dad cut the pieces out of wood) was a nativity set the kids could play with. I played with that nativity a lot, even if I may have been a tad too old to play pretend when it was completed. It's such a great idea for a Christmas decoration kids can play with and not ruin/break.

A few weeks ago I was at the new Hobby Lobby in Orem and I saw this wood nativity set for sale- complete with stable and everything. I bought it and got started on the painting right away. I did everything just like my mom did. Spread newspaper over the counter. Got my plastic cup of water for brush rinsing. Got my piece of tin foil for mixing colors. Tied an apron over my clothes. Stayed up way too late a couple nights finishing it.

I think it actually came out pretty great.

Sadie loves it too. (Click on the above picture and note how she has positioned the shepherd)

PS- Sadie can now officially get up on the couch all by herself

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Awesome job on your nativity, Carly! It looks great! And, I bet Sadie loves playing with it! :)

lacy said...

Wow. I am super impressed! Especially with the mixing of the colors; great job! Also, I like that your wise men are diverse. Good touch. And probably pretty accurate, but that's just a guess.

Carrie said...

It looks great! I'm impressed with Sadie's hanging skills too. Who knows, maybe the shepherd really did hang from the rafters to get a good look.

Julia Mar said...

It looks great, Carly. Your mom's ornaments were the best. I'm still hoping to get some of them as hand-me-downs.

Tina said...

What a great job you did! I love that you wanted Sadie to have a painted Nativity set, just like you guys did. I have such fond memories of watching you guys play with that set.

Chelsy said...

ha ha, love that the Sheppard is hanging from the stable by his staff. I mean, they had to have a little fun somehow, right?! And the paint job looks fantastic! :o)

Meredith said...

What a good mom you are. I love sadie's shirts in both pictures.

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

If your Dad cut out the wood... which part did your Mom do?