We had an eventful year. We have a lot to be grateful for. This is a long list for me to remember and read when I am pouting about who-knows-what. Feel free to read it if you want to.
-We all turned a year older, including Daniel hitting the big 3-0. The presents he received made up for the fact that I normally don't get him anything. An iPad and Lasik. Both life-changing. I frequently forget that he can see now when he wakes up in the morning.
-I paid off all my student loans from graduate school.
-We said good-bye to my youngest brother Matt, who is serving a 2 year LDS mission in Idaho. The decision to serve others and try to bring happiness into their lives through the Gospel of Jesus Christ is incredibly difficult and unselfish.
-We were relatively healthy all year, besides the typical colds and flus that come along.
-I met up with some of my nearest and dearest girlfriends in Chicago for a wonderful weekend away. Got to have another mini-girls weekend during Melissa's wedding in Utah.
-We visited Boston
-We visited Austin. First family road-trip and it went pretty well. Thank goodness for DVD players and mini-vans. And DVD players in mini-vans.
-We hosted several visitors in Utah: my parents, Carolyn, Meredith & Weston, Alicia, and the whole Nielson family for Thanksgiving. Then we got to see a lot more close friends and family who made special efforts to see us during their Utah trips: Carrie, the Gessells, the Cottles, the Johnsons, the Dunns, the Singers, the Moss', Margaret, and the Bennett-Kimballs. It means a lot to me to get to see these people.
-We got to spend lots of time with people we love who live in Utah- the Salazars, Faucettes, Sullivans and Gaines family. It is very important to me that my kids know and love their relatives, so it is especially significant that my girls spend so much time with Hillary and Ben in this last year before the Salazars leave Utah.
-We bought our first house. Sometimes I still sit in our house and can't believe I own it. I never imagined I could own a house like it. I mean, a garage door opener?!? I have never lived in a house with a garage that people actually parked cars in, let alone a garage door opener. Along with that came more exciting purchases like a washer and dryer that actually work, lawn-mower, ladder, etc. All thrilling possessions.
-Sadie started, and is thriving in preschool.
-Elise started being tended by a friend from our previous neighborhood. This friend is a better mom than I could ever hope to be. That tends to be my criteria for babysitters/daycare. Could I never compete with them in the mothering department? Okay, they are hired. Just yesterday when I arrived to pick her up there were several loaves of hot homemade bread coming out of the oven. Elise was in different clothes because she soaked herself when Shelby allowed her to "help" with the dishes. (Something I rarely do because I don't want to clean up the mess made all over the counters and floors)
-I got an unexpected and significant salary raise. Granted, it was because UVU went through their thousands of employees, identified the most severely underpaid and gave them raises, but it is still very much appreciated. Accepting this job 5 1/2 years ago over several other, higher-paying jobs continues to be one of the best decisions I have ever made.
-We found out we are expecting our third little girl. This pregnancy has not been fun but, interestingly, I am more excited to meet BG3 (baby girl 3) than I was in my other pregnancies. I think about her and what she is going to be like a lot. Holding my 3 month old niece Adelaide yesterday made me even more excited. The slight smell of spit-up is nostalgic for me.
-We found out that our little girl is going to have 2 cousins the exact same age (twins!!! due exactly 6 weeks after) I am also grateful that I get to be the aunt of the twins and not the mom. Love you, Meredith. We'll find out their genders in a few weeks. I see lots of matching cousins outfits on the horizon.
-Daniel got a new job. His previous job at UVU was fine, but after 4 seasons he was ready for a change. Daniel was very close to getting a different job earlier in the summer and it was a definite hit to his ego when he didn't get the offer since he was absolutely the best candidate. (You know that is true since I don't offer many compliments to Daniel) Well, we are all happy now because he got a better job--in more ways than one-- back at BYU in August. He has enjoyed it. Of course it helps that they are 12 and 1 on the season so far, but again, we feel very blessed Daniel has a great job.
I am little nervous for 2014 because I think it will be tough to come down off a year like we just had. Good thing we are adding another person to our family. One more crazy kid is more important than any house or trip we could take.
Tuesday, December 31, 2013
2013 Summary
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a great year! Who could have foreseen all that great stuff that happened to you guys!
But 2014 will also be great with the birth of #3, BYU women's trip to the NCAA tournament, some great upcoming vacations, and some other great but still unknown events.
You guys really did have a great year. Nick and I talked about that often, how happy we were for all of the awesome stuff happening. And now we're back on the baby train together again. 2014 will be great too.
Post a Comment