Thursday, November 5, 2015

Velna Black Blood

 Two weeks ago, Grandma Blood passed away. She is Daniel's maternal grandmother and Mimi's mother. 
While we were in Texas for Tyler's wedding she went into the hospital with seemingly small health issues that needed to be addressed, but found out shortly thereafter that her kidneys were failing. Carolyn was able to fly out first thing the morning after the wedding so she could see her mom for a couple days while she was still somewhat lucid. 
I love this picture of Grandma with Carolyn
The funeral was last week. It was a nice tribute to a loving and beautiful woman. The speakers all talked about how she led by example. She was quiet, steady and kind. She rarely complained, even as her husband pursued degrees and jobs at several universities around the country. She was deeply devoted to her husband and 5 kids, while also having small businesses on the side. She was always very kind to me. For some reason her laugh really sticks out to me. We last visited Grandma and Grandpa Blood in July and I remember her laughing as Millie took her first few steps at their house. She was not a woman of a lot of words, but she would sit in her chair and listen to Dwight (Grandpa Blood) relate story after story about Matlock, the Jazz, or "U"-tards. 

I didn't get many pictures because I was chasing a certain crazy 18-month-old around. As the family walked into the funeral Camille started growling at everyone. During the opening prayer she began screaming for Daniel (who was giving the prayer), so she and I stayed in the hall and the mother's lounge for the whole service. Millie fell asleep on the drive over to the graveside service, so again, she and I stayed in the car. It was a little cold so Elise opted to stay with me as well.

Grandpa let Sadie pick a flower to bring home

 These girls love their Mimi

0 comments: