Friday, February 26, 2016

School Reading Contest

I volunteered to help with Sadie's school reading contest. My neighbor/friend was in charge and I was happy to help her. Somehow I ended up taking on a lot of stuff, but I enjoyed it. It was nice to have something else going on, even if I was really busy some days. The contest went for a month and it kicked off with an opening assembly. I found this acrobat/aerialist and magician to perform. 
It would have been cooler if the aerialist could have performed for longer. The magician was fine, but the aerialist was awesome. His final move was climbing to the very top and then twisting and flipping almost all the way to the floor before the silks caught him.
 The magician did some cool tricks, but it was better for the younger grades. It all went well and I could breathe a little easier that it was over. 

Every Friday for the next month I helped give out prizes to the weekly winners. The kid from each class who read the most got a prize. Then the entire class from each grade that read the most got a reward. One week I got a local bakery to donate donuts, so running around trying to coordinate 21 dozen donuts (while Daniel was out of town of course) was an adventure. But again, it was kind of fun to have something else going on, even if it added some stress.

At the closing assembly Sadie was announced as the overall winner of the contest for her class. Here she is with the winners from the other first grade classes. 
The second place winners from each grade got to decorate Principal Knadler with an assortment of food. The entire student body was chanting "in her face" each time a kid approached. Some of them got a bit violent. The snow cone looked painful. Sadie's principal is awesome. It was a very entertaining assembly.

Sadie's reward for winning was a field trip to Chick-fil-a with the other winners. A friend of mine who chaperoned sent me this picture. Sadie was SO excited. She wanted to curl her hair and wear a "special" outfit. She loves to read so it was a great contest for her. 

She is already talking about next year.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Impressed with your involvement! Sounds tiring.