Monday, June 15, 2009

No G.D. Diet Here!

About 2 weeks ago I took the 1-hour glucose test for gestational diabetes. This type of diabetes develops in pregnancy when a woman's body is not able to regulate her blood glucose levels. Contrary to popular belief, a woman cannot give herself this diabetes through a poor diet. Sure, eating extra sugar can't help, but it also can't cause it. Read about it here. The most common way to treat the problem is with a very strict diet, extremely low in carbs.

Moving on...I failed this first test.
A big fat FAIL. This means I got to (and consequently, Daniel got to) go to the hospital for the 3-hour glucose test. This required that I fast starting at 7 PM Friday night until I arrived at the hospital at 7 AM on Saturday. Blood drawing #1 happened then. Following this I had to down a very glucose-concentrated drink (kind of like flat soda). My blood was then drawn every hour for 3 hours. Daniel I planned ahead and brought The Curious Case of Benjamin Button to occupy us for the whole ordeal. The process wasn't as bad as I anticipated. I got out with minimal bruising from all the arm pokes.

The best news of all...I passed!
I am happy to report that I don't have to go on a G.D. (Gestational Diabetes) diet for the remaining months of my pregnancy. I am especially happy I won't have to give up carbs! (So is Daniel)

5 comments:

Tina said...

Now I remember those tests, and having to fast and drink that awful stuff. Fortunately, I always passed, but what a bother that all was. Congratulations on passing!

Margaret Proffitt said...

What a huge relief. Now you just have to worry about your strep b test. Thanks again for watching Booker. I could tell he had a fabulous time because he was absolutely wiped out by bedtime. If my mom isn't too sick, I'd love to get lunch this week. I'll give you a call.

Nick and Lexie said...

Um, where's my picture?

Congrats! Now we can make Daniel and Carly go to 711 and buy us candy on Friday night. It's really a tradition.

Carrie said...

I'm glad you passed your test!

MJ said...

I'm so glad for you! That soda stuff is so nasty- but at least you don't have to follow that strict diet!