Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sickie

Poor Elise. She seems to have a weaker immune system than Sadie because she is the one who always gets sick. Around Valentine's Day she had a stomach bug and a fever for a few days. A few days after that a strange rash showed up around her mouth, but it didn't seem to bug her so I ignored it. Another couple days passed and she started having huge, bloody, dried boogers that kept getting stuck in her nose and kept her from breathing through it. Maybe I am a terrible mother, but again, I just ignored it. Every day she got a few more random rash bumps on her body. Mostly on her face and diaper area, but a couple on her upper legs, one on her hand, and a few on her back. At any given time there were like 4 or 5 total bumps on her. 

Well on Monday I felt real sick and decided to stay home from work so I kept Elise home with me. I noticed her left eye looked a little bloodshot. I called her pediatrician to get their opinion on what might be going on. By the time our appointment rolled around late that afternoon Elise's eyes were both looking pink-eye-infected. The doctor said she had no name for Elise's virus, just a "strange one that is manifesting itself in every possible symptom." It turns out the dried blood in her nose was coming from the rash that had spread up into it and turned to scabs. 
By the way, Elise was the most adorable patient ever at the doctor's office. Sadie cries whenever she has to go to the doctor but Elise climbed onto the table by herself and laid down until the nurse came in. She was very cooperative, although she struggled with sticking her tongue out and opening her mouth so the doctor could look at her throat. 
So here we are a few days later with eye drops, humidifiers, and vaseline-covered q-tips that get rubbed in Lou's nose every few hours. She has gotten pretty good at laying still when I put the drops in her eyes.



3 comments:

Tina said...

Oh, no! Have you had to stay home "sick" to take care of her, or is her babysitter in Orem willing to take her with her virus? Poor Elise (although she seemed not be very bothered by it all). What a cutie!

Unknown said...

Poor girl!

Unknown said...

I love the picture of her at the doctors office. I feel like with really good kids, its hard to tell when they're really sick because they're so even keeled about it. Briz is always so dramatic, that she thinks a hangnail requires a doctors visit.