Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Sweet Sixteen

When Daniel left for Lincoln, Nebraska, to go to the Sweet 16 I was just hoping his team would play alright and not get embarrassed by UConn (whose average margin of victory going into the game was 35 points). I seriously considered going with the team, and even got cleared by my doctor, but the flight cost (when the NCAA is paying, no one extra rides for free) and the logistics of what to do with our kids made it too complicated. 

So I pretty much had no hope for BYU, but I was super anxious to get the game over with. In the NCAA tournament they fly the teams to the game location a couple days before so they can do media stuff. It felt like Daniel had been gone a while when game day finally came on Saturday and I just wanted it to be game time. 

The girls and I were up and going by 7:30 AM. We went to Kneaders for french toast. The morning was just dragging on so we went to Orem to look at a used stroller. We decided to have a park picnic down there (the parks in Orem are way better than AF) and invited the Sullivans to join us. 

After 2 1/2 hours at the park it was finally time to head home for the game.  Sadie made this sign for BYU. It was her first attempt at block lettering. She would write the words and then just color over them in an attempt to make them block letters. I think the sign said GO BYU and then also said "No Huskies" with some pictures of Cosmo and the UConn Huskie (who Sadie thought looked like a polar bear) as well.
 When the game finally got going BYU played amazingly well. They got up by 6 points at one point in the first half. The ESPN announcers were shocked. No one thought BYU would put up a real fight. They are the only team this season to hold a lead on UConn in the second half. I was on the verge of laughter and tears at all moments. I was so proud of them. I still am proud of them.
Unfortunately, with a team like UConn, you can't have any cold spells, and BYU did just that in the second half. They couldn't hit a shot and UConn started hitting theirs. BYU cut the lead down to 6 at one point, but couldn't close the gap.

Both Daniel's parents and the John family drove to Lincoln for the game. Daniel got to hang out with them for a few hours afterwards. Neither of them live conveniently close to attend the game so it meant a lot to Daniel that they would drive so far.

Of course we would have loved it if BYU had won, but I am glad to have Daniel's crazy travel schedule done for the season.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Will thought the Huskie was a bear too. We had a great time at the game, wish there were more close games for us to go to!

Tina said...

Yeah, BYU! So impressive, so exciting! When they make the sweet sixteen next year(of course)make sure that the tournament is near us so that we can drive there and watch them play. Congratulations, Daniel!

Unknown said...

I love Will's glasses. So cute. They did so well. It was so exciting to watch them do so well, and it was so fun to be able to brag about Daniel being the coach.

I am also glad the season is done for your sake. Just in time for baby.