The calendar on our kitchen wall says "THE day" on today's date. I had August 18th etched in my brain for so long as my due date that I can't believe Sadie is 3 weeks old and today was just another day. In one of my last blog entries before Sadie arrived I wrote about my most recent doctor's appointment said things were moving along well. I thought I would have her a few days early, maybe a week.
Here are a few thoughts from the last 3 weeks:
1. Motherhood is harder than I expected. It's really not the lack of sleep, although that is not fun at all. For me, it is more that now have this person completely dependent on me and I don't know all the answers! That is scary and stressful. I am someone who prepares and researches and plans. When we found out Sadie had lost a concerning amount of weight I was sad, but I thought I could stuff food down her and she'd be fine. The next week when we found out Sadie has GERD (infant acid reflux) I came a bit more unraveled. There is nothing you can do to cure GERD; you can only ease the pain she experiences with medication. The past few days Sadie has refused to eat from me more and more. She is constipated and it is so hard to see her pained looks. But enough complaining! The good news is that Sadie is about back at her birth weight. She is in the 11th percentile for weight and 48th percentile for height.
2. Sadie is more awesome than I ever expected. And cuter. I was fairly confident we would have a very unfortunate-looking baby. One of the first things I said after she was born was something like "she's not that ugly!" The labor and delivery employees were a little taken aback by us I think. Sadie does make some of the ugliest faces I have ever seen. I love that she scowls a lot, especially in her sleep, just like her dad. She is awesome. She laughs in her sleep sometimes, which is the most exciting thing ever, right? I love that she has a huge rib cage, just like her mama. It makes me laugh every time she stretches out and toots. I am immature. She pees about 50% of the time while she is getting her diaper changed. She is, however, batting 100% in peeing while being changed when we are not at home. I used to bring just one extra outfit when we left the house. Now I bring 2. Some nicknames we have for her: Sadie Lady, Miss Sadie, Little Girl, Sadorade, Sadinator, etc.
3. People are generous. Our family and friends have been amazing. I don't want to list everything people have done for us for fear I would miss someone. But seriously, we have never felt so loved. We really appreciate all that has been done for us.
Sorry for the not-so-funny blog post. I promise my other posts after my blog maternity leave will be better!
3 comments:
Oh I like her. Glad to hear motherhood is hard, but awesome at the same time. I hope her acid reflux gets better. I have the same problem and it's not fun. Yup I do need to come see you.
You are beautiful, and Daniel is handsome. Therefore, Sadie will be quite the babe. An awkward comment for a no-so-funny post.
Thanks for sharing the happy and sads of motherhood. I appreciate that you are keeping it real for your blog followers. I like reading about Sadie's every movement- because I am such a dorky aunt. I can just tell that she and I will get along great. I was holding a 6 week old the other day and pretending it was Sadie.
I read a very informative article in the ensign last night about postpartum depression. Although there is no possible way I could have that condition at the moment, I really appreciated that the ensign has very applicable articles.
Post a Comment