Tuesday, November 15, 2016

2016 Election

I voted early this year. Elise and Camille were very well-behaved as we waited in line and Elise asked lots of good questions about the process. I was excited to have them with me. I don't normally share much about my political leanings on any kind of social media because I have absolutely no interest in debating politics. I have friends representing a wide range of politics since I was raised in super liberal Massachusetts and I live in super conservative Utah. But I do want my kids to be able to read about my feelings on this important election.

We had numerous discussions at home about the presidential election this year. Sadie and Elise had heard many interesting things about both candidates at school. Unfortunately, most of the crazy things they heard about Donald Trump were 100% true, while much of what they heard about Clinton was exaggerated or just false. I was embarrassed for our country that he was even a candidate. I don't love everything about Hillary Clinton but I definitely agreed more with her. So I was planning on voting for her. I assumed, like most of the country, she would be elected. I got a little teary about my girls having a woman as the leader of our country. I absolutely subscribe to the notion that it is easier to become what you can see; in other words, girls are more likely to aspire to be world leaders if they see female world leaders. In the week before I voted, a poll came out showing that Evan McMullin had a real chance of beating Trump in Utah. I went back and forth on my vote between Clinton and McMullin. I was hoping to vote for whoever had a better chance of beating Trump. I chose McMullin but it turns out he didn't have much of a chance. I was appalled that Utah went overwhelmingly for Trump. I thought people would be repelled by how disgusting, immoral, and unprincipled he is, but no. He scared me as a candidate since who knows what he would actually do? He has no experience and no track record of sticking to one political stance. He is over-sensitive and reacts emotionally. 

On Election Day Sadie and Elise were both rooting for Clinton, absolutely just because she is a girl,. Daniel and I were both assuming she would win as well. Later that night as the results came in I was dumbfounded. I was also scared. For the first time ever, I got emotional about an election. I couldn't imagine telling my girls that the candidate who "is mean to girls"--as Sadie said--won. I am still dumbfounded. I realized how much I don't relate to many people in the country. I don't understand how someone with morals could want Donald Trump representing the United States. It is all so baffling to me. 

I hope Donald Trump proves me wrong. I hope he is the best President our country has ever had. I hope he gets off Twitter. 

1 comments:

Tina said...

Don't know why these are showing up now, 3 months late, but I concur with your sentiments exactly. First I thought, "maybe he'll put smart people around him" but no, he picked people who wanted to destroy the department they were picked to head, or he picked scary right wing dictator types like Steve Bannon. Then I thought, well maybe after he is president he will settle down, but no, he keeps sending out weird twitters, and making Executive Orders that are a new outrage every day. At least he chose a reasonable judge for the Supreme Court has actually asked Russia to get out of the Crimea. Sorry about this long comment...