A picture I took as I was leaving work recently
I have worked for the past 6 1/2 years as the financial manager of the library at Utah Valley University (a big state school in Utah). Following Sadie's birth, the library director allowed me to split my work hours between home and the office. This was kept somewhat quiet since the university as a whole has nonsensical standards on people working from home. My boss figured since he was happy with my work performance and the library is kind of a separate entity, it was fine. Well he retired this past summer and the new director is not willing to ignore university policies, no matter how well I do my job. And I am not willing to spend 75% of my net salary on child care (as well as miss 90% of the hours my children are awake).
So it is time for me to leave my job. The Christmas holiday break will bring the end for me. It always seemed a little too good to be true; that I was able to enjoy a very low-stress career as well as be at home a lot with my kids. I will miss it. I am excited and nervous to be done working. I plan on traveling as much as possible, which may not be at all since I won't be making the money to pay for the trips.
I am kicking off my vacation from full-time work with a trip to Boston with my kids by myself to see my whole family. Can't wait.

3 comments:
Its a little scary. I remember very well when I quit working when Matt was born, and we wondered what our finances would look like without my income. We actually didn't notice much difference at all, since I didn't have to pay for childcare or travel to work or clothes for the office, so hopefully you will find it close to the same. good luck! I know things will work out for you1
I'm sorry about this. I can totally relate to feeling nervous-even though I had a job I hated. I was nervous that maybe I loved Adelaide because she was so great compared to my old boss. But it will work out because you are a great mom. And if you discover you need a part-time job to remain a great mom, Walmart is always looking for enthusiastic greeters. :)
You had such a great situation with the job, but I'm sure it was still tough with 3 kids! I'm excited for your new adventure. Can't wait to hear more about it.
Post a Comment